- 29 Aug 2023
- 10:00 am
Potteries Bottle Oven Day
Discover the city’s bottle ovens with a range of events organised by the Potteries Bottle Oven Owners Club in celebration of Potteries Bottle Oven Day, the annual commemoration of the last firing of a bottle oven in Stoke-on-Trent in 1978.
The morning’s events at the Dudson Centre and Museum, starting at 10:00am, include:
- Displays from a selection of bottle oven owners about their sites alongside in the Rose Price Room
- Talks in the Audrey Dudson room.
- 10:45 – Ceramic Heritage Action Zone project to record the city‘s bottle ovens
- 11:15 – The last bottle oven firing
Entry is free and no booking is required.
In the afternoon, head over to Middleport Pottery, where there will be:
- A short talk from photographer Phil Crow about his exhibition FORTYSEVEN: The Last Bottle Ovens and Kilns of The Potteries followed by a viewing of his exhibition in the bottle oven (2:00pm). Entry is free but places may be limited and should be booked in advance through: www.potteries.org.uk/fortyseven-with-phil-crow-book
- A guided walk, led by the Potteries Heritage Society, of Middleport, Newport and Longport’s bottle ovens, leaving from Middleport Pottery at 3:30pm. Places may be limited and should be booked in advance through: www.potteries.org.uk/bottle-oven-day-walk